Charlie was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 at his 20 week ultrasound. My brother and sister in law, Jarod and Liz, made the courageous decision to carry Charlie in hopes of a miracle or at least for the chance to hold Charlie even if it was just for a brief moment.
I will never be able to put into words how special the night of Charlie's birth was. I describe it as magical because that word seems to describe it best. Gods' hands were evident in all the details of the journey that led up to Charlie's birth and that night.
Many doctors expressed to Jarod and Liz that Charlie's condition made him "incompatible with life." While Jarod and Liz certainly made the right choice in my opinion to carry Charlie, they also made the more difficult one. I cannot fathom what those months after Charlie's diagnosis were like for them. Yes, they are my family so I was a close spectator to the situation but it still wasn't me going through the journey. Jarod and Liz fought for their child over those months and I believe that fight was passed down to Charlie. He defied the odds. Charlie survived the womb, he lived hours after his birth.
Because of the decision that Jarod and Liz made, a precious gift was given to our family and to the world. We got to meet Charlie, pray over him, and shower him with a lifetime of love. It was a moment in time that I will carry with me forever. I am so grateful and proud of Jarod, Liz, and Charlie.
No we didn't get the miracle we prayed for but God answered other prayers for which we give Him praise. The journey now is how does one move on from the loss of a child? I can imagine there will be good and bad days. My prayer is that with time, the bad days will become fewer and far between. I also pray that our family, especially Jarod and Liz , can cling to the reality of what our preacher spoke of at Charlie's funeral. Charlie will never know the darkness of this world, he will only know the love of Jesus Christ. That is a beautiful thing.
We love and miss you Charlie. We will carry you in our hearts forever.



No comments:
Post a Comment