We knew that we were going to use Chadwick from the very beginning if our baby was a boy. Just like we will use Elizabeth (my amazing grandmother's name and who I was named after) if we have a girl down the road. However, we also decided that we didn't want to call him Chadwick because we knew it would get shortened to Chad and neither one of us want to have two Chads in the house (one is plenty..haha!)
Another thing we both wanted was something different. Shocking since my name is Fleming...you can't get more different than that! It was important to us for it to be a strong name but something that when you hear it you wouldn't forget it because it was something you didn't hear all the time. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of common names that I love so I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying we want a different name! So we have been racking our brain to find something that meets our criteria...and trust me it is more difficult that it sounds.
One night we were out at dinner and Chad told me that he really wished we could name our baby boy after my dad. I was immediately touched because I know that Chad and my dad have a very special bond that doesn't exist among all fathers and son-in-laws. Also, Chad and my dad have so many similarities that it is scary! Both are amazing men who I can only hope that our son grows to aspire to emulate. But...when Chad said that I was immediately touched but soon after the reality that my dad's real name is Bobby aka: Bob (not Robert) settled in. And his middle name is even worst (sorry dad, but you know its true). So, we weren't left with many options. I jokingly told Chad that we couldn't do the first two names because that aren't what we would want so our only option was Holt (my dad's last name, my maiden name). I didn't expect Chad to react the way he did, but he loved it. That immediately became the name he wanted to call our son.
It took me a couple of days to get use the name Holt. Not because I don't like it...I do like it. But when you go through your whole life with a name as a last name it takes time to adjust to saying it as a first. After a couple of days, I knew that this was the perfect name for our son. It is strong, it is different, but most importantly, it has so much meaning!
Now you would think...finally we have our name. We are done and can relax. Not so fast, then Chad springs on me that he would like the order to be Chadwick Holt Long instead of Holt Chadwick Long. Well, for those that know me, you know that I grew up going by my middle name (full name: Elizabeth Fleming Holt) and it was a pain! People who didn't grow up using their middle name don't really understand the problems that go along with going by your middle name but talk to anyone who does and 90% of them will echo that it is a problem that can easily be avoided by just putting what you are going to call your child as their first name! So from the beginning I was adamant about having the first name being what we would call our child for this very reason. Now, I will agree that Chadwick Holt Long flows very nicely but what is wrong with Holt Chadwick Long....nothing! You rarely say a child's full name anyway so to me the ease of having Holt as the first name trumps flow. Therefore, this is part of why it has taken me so long to post about our name. We have been back and forth for the past couple of weeks about the order of the name. So you might be wondering....who gave in. Well the name of our baby boy will be.....drum roll please......
Holt Chadwick Long
We are so excited to finally have a name so we can actually refer to our son by as Holt instead of he. It was a long road (longer than expected) but we love it and can't wait to meet Holt Chadwick Long!P.S: I have been working a lot on the nursery lately. I will post pictures soon! Oh and BIG belly pictures to follow.



No comments:
Post a Comment