With the arrival of Emerson, I was excited when my SIL, Liz, approached me back in December about having a joint birthday party for Chandler and Ellington at the Zoo. Chandler turned 4 in December and Ellington of course was turning 3 in February so a January birthday party for both was ideal. We kept it small with just family. I was nervous the morning of because bad weather came through early that day and I didn't want it to put a damper on the party which was happening rain or shine. Thankfully, it started to clear right as the party got started and it turned out to be a beautiful day. The zoo did a great job and made it very easy on us mamas. They literally do everything from the decorations, food, cake, and clean up!
We started out inside at the animal encounter which involved a snake (YIKES!) and a ferret. They learned facts about each animal then anyone who wanted to pet the animals could do so. Surprisingly, Holt said absolutely not to petting the snake. I was kind of surprised as he is my risk taker but then I remembered how we taught him when we lived at our old house that if he ever saw a snake in the backyard to run away so he clearly has made the connection that there is no such thing as a good snake. At first, Ellington did not want to pet the snake (can you blame her!) but last minute changed her mind. Even though you couldn't pay me to touch that thing...the mom inside of me was so proud that my little Ellington overcame her fear and did something outside of her comfort zone and all on her own accord. The ferret was the highlight of the animal encounter so they saved the best for last. He was a cutie!
After the animal encounter, we headed to the zoo cafe for pizza, cake, and to sing to the birthday girls. Then we rode the carousel a couple of times and headed to the lions to see the trainers feed them. Then is was off to the train and we had free reign of the zoo. The kids had a blast and all in all it was a very fun birthday party!
On Ellington's acutal birthday, we woke up to a Frozen explosion. We opened presents and sang to the birthday girl. Then it was off to school with cupcakes for her friends to celebrate. We kept it simple but Ellington had a great day!
I took Ellington and Emerson for their check ups (3 year and 2 months) this past Monday. Ellington received a clean bill of health but there were two things regarding Ellington I wanted to discuss with the doctor...potty training and Ellington's speech. Ellington is potty trained when it comes to number 1 but the other is a different story. She admits she is scared to use the potty for #2 and Chad and I have tried EVERYTHING. The doctor said it is completely normal and fine that she isn't completely potty trained yet and not to push it but she did recommend Miralax so we are going to start that this weekend and see if it helps. I hope we master this life skill soon as Ellington has some really cool Anna and Elsa pajamas waiting on her when she goes #2 in the potty for the first time.
As far as her speech, Ellington has no issues with comprehending but some of her articulation was concerning to me. She has a little bit of a lisp, can't pronounce her "r's" correctly and some other speech issues. The doctor didn't seem concerned at all but said I could get her evaluated if I wanted to. Thankfully, I have a speech pathologist in the family so I'm just going to have my SIL take a look and lead me in the right direction. However, after talking with my SIL I think all of Ellington's speech issues are age appropriate so we will likely not have to start speech yet if ever but I still want to evaluate her to make sure. Ellington weighed 33lbs and was 38.75 inches long (both 75%).
Ellington you keep our world VERY colorful and we love you so much! So THANKFUL you are ours!



No comments:
Post a Comment