We got to the hospital at 6:30 and my doctor came in and broke my water at 6:50 and got the pitocin started. I was hoping I had made some progress since my last appointment but I was only 2cm when she checked me first thing. I was a little disappointed. My doctor had prepped me that third baby deliveries are not always as fast as people assume and that it could take a little longer than it did with Ellington simply because I was more progressed with Ellington than with Emerson. So I prepared myself for a long day. The good news was I was set up to have my doctor deliver Emerson and the same labor and delivery nurse with me that was with me through my deliveries with Holt and Ellington. 3 for 3 with doctor and nurse...I think that is cool!
My mother in law had come in the night before and was with Holt and Ellington. She took them to school in an attempt to keep their routine as normal as possible. Plus, since I thought it would be a longer day at the hospital we thought sending them to school and giving them some play time would be best.
I had planned to let myself progress a little more before getting my epidural. However, when my nurse checked me later that morning I was still only around a 2. I was very disappointed as my contractions were getting stronger and a little unbearable so we decided to go ahead and get the epidural. I am a big fan of modern medicine and if I didn't have to feel pain then I didn't want to. The same anesthesiologist that I had with Ellington and he did a great job. This time was no different, my epidural worked perfectly. I was in no pain but could still notice when I was having contractions and could move my legs. I was very comfortable and even took a few naps while we waited for baby girl.
Around 10:30 my nurse checked me and I was at a 5. I was making progress but obviously had some ways to go. Around 11:30, I started to feel some pressure...not pain but pressure. I didn't say anything because I thought this was normal (which it is). My nurse said she was going to run grab lunch and come back but she asked me before she went if I was feeling any pressure. I had to tell her yes so she checked me and I was at 10! We talked about laboring down but she didn't think I was going to need to and didn't think I was going to have to push very much. She called my doctor and said she was going to do a test push. So we sent my mom out of the room and we all thought Emerson could likely make her debut around the same time as Ellington of 12:20pm.
I pushed twice and my nurse decided that I still needed to labor down some so she sat me straight up in the bed and let me hang out for about 45 minutes. About 30 minutes into it, I remembered we hadn't let my mom know what was going on so I told Chad to text her to let her know I was not pushing yet so she didn't get nervous. Of course, my mom was starting to get anxious so she was relieved when she got Chad's text.
At 12:55 my nurse did another test push. I pushed twice and she told me to stop and made the call to my doctor. My doctor came in immediately at 1:00. I pushed a few more times and at 1:06 our sweet Emerson made her debut. It was a dream of a delivery and I am so grateful that our baby girl was healthy. To us she is perfect!
Knowing that we are not planning to have more children, I was very emotional. My happy tears quickly turned to all smiles once Emerson was in my arms.
Once we made it to our recovery room, Holt and Ellington came to meet their baby sister. Holt was all about it and unaffected my the atmosphere of the hospital room. Ellington, on the other hand, was much more cautious. It took her sometime to warm up to Emerson but the "gifts" that Emerson brought them seem to help! By the end of their visit, she was much more attentive to her. However, she wouldn't give me the time of day. Of course, I was laying in the bed, in a gown, and still had my IV in my arm so I can't blame the girl for not wanting to get near me. The next day I was in my pjs and sitting on the couch when they came to see me and she gave me and Emerson a lot more love!
We are so thankful to God for the blessings of our children. We have done nothing to be deserving of Holt, Ellington, and now Emerson but we are overjoyed and so grateful that He has given these precious gifts to us. To God be the glory for the things he has done, is doing, and will continue to do!



No comments:
Post a Comment