My mom joined me at their school for the parade and parties. Halloween is my mom's birthday so I want her to participate in all the fun if she chooses to.
That afternoon, my mom, Holt, Ellington, and I met up with Tyler, Becky, Jonathan, and Maggie for the parade in Crestline. Then we headed to my house to meet the rest of the family for a birthday celebration dinner honoring my mom and Chad (who's birthday was the next day). After dinner, we trick or treated.
One of the reasons Halloween was so much fun this year is because when we moved in April we apparently moved to the "Halloween street." Every year, our neighbors have a BIG Halloween party and all must be welcomed because it was packed. Our street is flat and is great for trick or treating so a lot of families in the area come to enjoy the flat terrain, as well as, our neighbors party. My mom and dad held down the fort at our house for trick or treaters while everyone else made their way up and down the street.
The night was perfect until we were making our way back to the house. Holt started running towards our yard and all I could see was him face plant in front of me. He couldn't see because it was dark and ran straight into a ditch outside our house. He lost his balance and hit his cheek right on the concrete curb. Can you say blood curdling screams? I grabbed him up but couldn't see the damage due to the lack of light. Our neighbor happened to be in our yard and witnessed the whole thing and brought us her cell phone flashlight so we could see his face. It was not good. In fact, our neighbor's reaction said it all..."Oh my goodness!" Holt's whole right side of his face immediately swelled up and was bleeding. Thankfully, my dad was at our house to intervene because I was a basket case. We cleaned up the wound and put ice on his cheek to reduce the swelling. You could already tell that he was going to have a black eye and major bruising around his cheek bone.
When he woke the next day, it was even worse. Tears filled my eyes when I saw his sweet little face. I made the rounds at school to ensure that everyone knew what happened and to not let Holt rough house during playtime. I stopped by before my lunch at work to load up the Neosporin. His cheek looked much better by the end of the week but to this day there is still some redness and a little bruising. Of course, it didn't help that a week into the injury a little girl at school accidentally elbowed him right in the same spot. That was definitely a set back in the healing process.



No comments:
Post a Comment